Posted on 11th December 2018
Last Minute Christmas Gift Idea: An Electric Toothbrush
Many of our patients have found that switching to an electric toothbrush has really improved their home oral hygiene routine. Brushing with an electric toothbrush with a revolving circular head – such as the range manufactured by Oral-B – is recommended by our hygienists. An electric toothbrush would make a great Christmas present for a loved-one who currently uses a manual brush.
Benefits of Electric Toothbrushes
The electric toothbrush really is the pinnacle of home dental care. Here are some of the features that make them so effective:
- Rotary motion. Manual brushing is a vigorous back-and-forth motion. The head of an electric toothbrush spins at between 1300 and 8800 rotations per minute – up to 50 times faster than the most efficient manual brush.
- Light touch. Overbrushing can cause damage to the gums. Some models of electric toothbrush have a pressure sensor
- Replaceable heads. The head of an electric toothbrush can be changed. This feature allows more than one person to share the body of the brush. On some models, the heads can be swapped for specialist brushes designed to clean around dental braces or bridgework.
- Two-minute timer. Many models of electric toothbrush feature a timer that makes sure the user brushes for the full recommended two minutes.
- User compliance. People love a gadget! The extra features and pleasant sensation may make users more likely to brush properly.
Whatever kind of electric toothbrush you choose for yourself or as a Christmas present, it is vital that it is used correctly. The video on our dental hygiene page has some handy tips for the correct use of an electric toothbrush. If you are still worried that your home teeth cleaning routine may be lacking some finesse, book an appointment with our hygienists, they can train you in the correct techniques for a high-quality home dental maintenance routine.
To book a hygiene appointment, call our reception on 01603 632525.